History

Engraving of the Lion Ballroom from the Hereford Times 12th August 1843

The Lion Ballroom was built as part of the elaborate and extensive refurbishment of the Lion Hotel in 1843. Prior to this hotel was known as the red lion and been a coaching inn from the 1700’s. The addition of the ballroom made the hotel the grandest venue in the town. Leominster was key town on the old coaching routes with 5 coaching inns in the town, were passengers and horses could rest for the night, before continuing on their way.